Sunday, June 26, 2011

Research Topics

    I have done quite a bit of thinking about research topics, but am still undecided.  There are just so many things that spark my interest here in England!  But as promised, I will give an update on the research ideas I have been thinking over.

    Architecture: I have been very inspired by a lot of the architecture I have seen in London and Oxford so far on this trip.  There are several distinct styles that continue to show up in each place I visit, as well as styles that seem very original to my eyes.  There is definitely a large Gothic influence in many buildings, as well as some classical Greek or Roman designs.  I am mostly interested in older architecture, stuff made out of rock and so forth, castles, old state buildings, churches, and cathedrals and the like.
    I am not entirely decided on what the research question on this would be, but I have a few possible ideas.  First of all, where did England get its architecture from, and how?  What caused the people of this country to choose one architectural style over another?  What influence did the various invasions of England (Romans, Anglo Saxons, William the Conquerer) have on changes in architecture?  What role did necessity play (such as castles and fortresses) and what role did aesthetics play?
    How could we tie this into something relevant today?  How do people view these buildings today, and what impact does it have on current buildings and culture?  How are existing older building put into use in this modern era?
    Also, a lot of the architecture at UW was allegedly inspired by architecture in England.  Suzzallo Library is built in a style called "Collegiate Gothic", and much reference in readings about Suzzallo is made to both Oxford and Cambridge.  I think this would be something interesting to look into.

Ok!  Stay tuned for my thoughts on other research topics, such as the devolution of Scotland and Ireland, the reduction of power of the Crown, and the evolution of the British Political system and so forth!  My brain is swimming with ideas, but needs a port to find land!

No comments:

Post a Comment